What to do with externally broken package? (anki)

Hi release team,

I maintain the package anki which is currently at version 2.0.30 while
upstream is 2.0.31. It is a flash card learning program that would work
just fine as it is now if it weren't for a non-essential but very
popular feature of syncing its files to a server run by upstream.  It
allows syncing not only to other computers but also to anki
implementations on Android, iOS, a web interface on the server etc.

It is *technically* non-essential, but if it doesn't work (because the
package is too old) users start to complain quickly, some even
considering the package unusable without this feature.

Unfortunately upstream is rather quick to break (intentionally,
apparently) older versions after releasing a new version of his
software. The server already refuses to sync with 2.0.30.

There's already some discussion for similar packages on debian-devel,
but without specific results beyond asking the release team. Well, what
are my options here to get this package fully working into stable? It is
a leaf package, so would asking for a freeze exemption for this new
upstream release (and any more that come up before the release) just get
me a death glare by the complete release team?

Andreas