libpng and next release

Dear release managers, dear libpng maintainers, all DD

I would like to find a resolution of the currently very
unfortunate state of libpng in Debian.

We have
* libpng 1.2 in stable, testing, unstable
* libpng 1.6 in experimental, but not providing libpng-dev

If we continue like this, the next release will continue to have
libpng 1.2 as default, including *all* depending libraries.

I myself am forced to include copies of 5 libraries in the
next upload of TeX Live if this is not resolved, as upstream
requires libpng 1.4 or above.

After asking the libpng maintainers on their opinion on the
future of libpng in Debian, I haven't received any answer now.

I have offered the maintainers to do rebuild tests with 1.6,
above the ones I have done by now, but I am feeling that there
is no impetus to change the situation.

Thus, I am asking both the release managers and the libpng maintainers:
* what is the future of libpng in Debian, especially for the next
  release?
* How will ftpmasters/security handle the packages that will include
  embedded copies of libraries for packages that require a more recent
  libpng?

As mentioned, I am more than open to help in the transition, test
build other libs and progs, but as long as there is no decision from
the libpng *what* should be in jessie it is a vain efford.

Thanks for your consideration

Norbert

On Fri, 02 May 2014, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> it is high time that we go forward with transitioning libpng-dev
> to version 1.6. That means, not only uploading libpng1.6, but
> *replacing* libpng in unstable with the new version.
>
> If we plan to have this ready for November freeze of jessie, we
> need to get started *now*!
>
> > Major package of most is the state that can be migrated to libpng1.6.
>
> I agree, for TeX Live building purposes I have rebuilt several
> package with libpng1.6, namely libgd2, freetype, cairo, jbig2dec,
> and ghostscript (all the deps necessary for texlive building).
> There were no problems with that.
>
> I am also volunteering to rebuild and test other packages, but
> as long as there is no declared wish of the libpng developers
> it is wasted times.
>
> So, please, let me know, *what* are your plans concerning jessie?
> Should jessie ship with libpng 1.6 as default or 1.2?
>
> If you want to transition, what are the next steps? My suggestion is:
> * upload a libpng-dev (NOT libpng16) replacement to *experimental*
> * test all packages for binNMU
> * try to fix the failed packages, mass bug filing
> * give some head way
> * upload to unstable
>
> I think the *first* and *most*important* step is that we upload a
> replacement libpng-dev based on 1.6 to *experimental*. This is a
> sign that we are planning to transition.
>
> But again, libpng developers, please let me know your plans!
> I *really* want to help to get this transition going!
>
> Thanks
>
> Norbert

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13