Re: Updating /etc/debian_version and related files

(/me subscribed to -release)

Quoting Adam D. Barratt (adam@adam-barratt.org.uk):
> On 2013-06-01 6:01, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> >Quoting Adam D. Barratt (adam@adam-barratt.org.uk):
> >
> >>We've had a quick chat about this, and our preference would be for
> >>the option you've termed "ugly". Now that we've stopped using the
> >>three part versioning, it seems more logical for wheezy to be
> >>"Debian 7" and for the issue files to reflect that.
> >
> >If this is the chosen design, why not have /etc/issue forget about
> >the
> >".0" part, then?
>
> That's exactly what Santiago's "ugly" option does. debian_release
> continues to change at each point release, the other files are
> modified to just use "7".

Is there a rationale for *not* using Santiago's good option?

(feel free to redirect this to another ML as I know the release team
is not always fond of -release being used as a discussion list)