Re: Please wheezy-ignore #695716

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 07:33:59AM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> I'm not sure why there'd be any repackaging needed? aiui no files have
> been removed, the license information contained in them has simply been
> updated.

correct. so if you want to update the "old" package to the newly
licensed documentation, then you have to repackage the source file.
essentially you would create a source package with the "old" source and
teh "new docs. but see below about the changes in the docs...

> Have upstream stated whether the relicensing applies retrospectively, or
> only to 0.6.7 and above?

they have not, but I am confident that they will if asked to. but more
importantly: the contents of the documentation have actually not
changed, just the license. the upstream does not need to apply the
license retrospectively, anyone can now choose which license to use.

in my opinion if we want to use the new license, the only celan way to
do it is to repackage the source as described above. but since the
problem is going away with this anyway, I was hoping the release team
would decide to simply tag this wheezy-ignore.

please also note the difference between this case and some other
licensing problems: sometimes we (debian) are not *allowed* to ship a
package in the state it is in. in these cases the problem does need to
be fixed immedately of course. in this case we *choose* not to ship
packages with this type of license (through [0]). since the problem is
going away by itself anyway now that upstream has changed the license,
ignoring it for wheezy seems ok to me. but of course repackaaging the
source + tpu is ok as well, will do that if asked to.

regards  robert

[0] http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com