Re: Why doesn't aspectc++ migrate?

[Disclaimer: I am not part of the release team]

On 09-11-13 04:49, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> I wonder why the package aspect++ does not migrate. According to
> http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=aspectc++, it
> seems to be because of missing arm builds. I expected that not to
> matter as the package is no longer in testing, but obviously I'm
> wrong.

As far as I know, what counts is if the package is in unstable. And as
it build in the past on arm/armel, the package is still valid on unstable.

> Upstream is aware of the issue but does not consider this a priority.

Do you know if the package was not only building on arm/armel but was
actually useful? Then I think Debian does consider this a "priority".

> I ask now what do you think would be the best course of action:

I would say that depends on the answer to my question above.

> a) adding some hint so that it migrates anyway
> b) change to source to include only i386 and amd64 in the Architecture
> line, as these are the only upstream supported architectures
> c) both a) and b)
> d) something else.

d1: if it was never useful, ask ftp-master to remove the arm/armel
packages from the archive by filing a removal request, migration will
then happen automatically if I am correct. In that case also add the
appropriate archs in the debian/control file.
d2: if the package is useful on arm and armel, I believe it is the
responsibility of the maintainer (normally with the help of upstream) to
fix (or find help to fix) such issues.

Paul