Proposed release goal: stop using V4L1

Hello,

I'd like to bring up the V4L1 deprecation goal, again. The original proposal from Ben was:

Video4Linux version 1 (V4L1) was obsoleted in the kernel by version 2
(V4L2) some years ago and newer video capture drivers do not support
V4L1. Applications should all be using V4L2. There is a library (libv4l)
that can aid in converting applications that were written for V4L1.
Fedora has patched a number of applications to use this.

Advocates: Ben Hutchings
           anyone else?
Short name: novideo4linux1
Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/NoVideo4Linux1

I'm maintaining the libv4l package that translates the V4L1 calls of the application into V4L2 syscalls.

I'll try to track down all work needing packages on the mentioned wiki page.

Thanks,
Gregor