Re: Proposed release goal: UTF-8 support

Ricardo Mones <mones@debian.org> writes:

>   Simply stating in the package description that it doesn't support UTF-8
> seems more acceptable to me. That a package doesn't met a RG doesn't exclude
> it from Debian¹, nevertheless it's good to know what to expect from it.

For example, OpenAFS doesn't have general large file support yet.  (It
does for the most critical components, like the file server, but not for
some of the random utilities.)  Upstream is working on it, but there are a
bunch of on-disk data structures and they have to be very careful about
not breaking them.

There's a limit to what we can do inside Debian, and in some cases waiting
for upstream is the right approach.