Re: Upcoming stable point release (7.1)

El 29/05/13 20:59, Adam D. Barratt escribió:
On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 10:36 +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2013, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
The first point release for "wheezy" (7.1) is scheduled for Saturday
June 15th.  Stable NEW will be frozen during the preceding weekend.

As usual, base-files can be uploaded at any point before the freeze.

Before I go ahead, I'd like to confirm the opinion of release managers
about this minor issue: Currently, the only file which fully reflects
the version number, including the point release, is /etc/debian_version.
(i.e. it will become "7.0.1", while issue{.net} would still be "7.0")

We were planning on this being 7.1, rather than 7.0.1. (Major versions
are always X.0 now, so hard-coding the second component to "0" for point
releases is simply a waste.)

Q1. Do we still want to exclude /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net?
Q2. There is a new file containing the version number, namely, /etc/os-release.
Do we want to exclude it as well, as we usually do with issue and issue.net?

Do we know if anything parses any of these files, rather than simply
displaying them to users? If we're not sure then I'm tending towards
leaving them as-is for now and investigating for the next point release;
I have "fond" memories of undertaking a similar exercise a few years ago
before we started updating /etc/debian_version.

Well, if the next release is 7.1 and we want to mimic what we did in squeeze (i.e. update /etc/debian_version only), we should better remove the ".0" part from every version number, as it should be just "7". Keeping "7.0" in "7.1" would be clearly a bug.