Re: Candidates for removal from testing (2013-01-24)

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 03:47:08PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> We are considering removing the following packages from testing as
> they have unfixed RC bugs filed against them.
[...]
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
>    pmw

I had overlooked the fact that "serious" means "release critical",
otherwise I'd have given this some more attention.

What happens here is that some pointer/int confusion causes incorrect
output, in the test suite, which causes the package to fail to build, on
a non-release architecture[1]. Since the test suite is run at compile
time, this means the bug does not manifest itself on the architectures
where the package did build, in casu our release architectures.

For that reason, I believe it makes more sense to downgrade the bug
rather than to kick it out of the release, so I've done that.

Having said that, I've contacted upstream; if a complete fix does
materialize before the release (Thorsten's patch only fixes one instance
of that bug, but the bug report hints there may be more), I'll still
upload that, with the hope it'll get accepted...?

[1] In casu, m68k. Yes, I know. Stop looking at me like that.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy requires you
to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once, add a voucher, and