Request for wheezy-ignore tag: bug#555168 (glibc locale files with license not permitting modification)

Hi release team,

I've been asked to ask you whether you consider bug#555168 (many glibc
locale files having a license that does not permit modification) to be
something deserving a wheezy-ignore tag.

I'm asking you half-heartedly, since I don't think the answer is
useful.  That bug sure *looks* release-critical, and it sure *looks*
like something that could be delayed another release if people manage
to stall long enough.  Which would make it wheezy-ignore.

Jonathan

Context:

 - bug was release-critical in squeeze cycle

 - tagged squeeze-ignore.  I can't find a note explaining the context

 - in the squeeze cycle there was some controversy about whether this
   is worth spending time on --- are these files copyrightable at all
   or mere collections of facts, and is the license forbidding
   modification intentional?

 - Helge has done a lot of work recently to get the files relicensed
   more clearly

 - there was an upstream discussion revealing that the upstream
   maintainers are not sure if these files are copyrightable at all.
   And on the other hand, apparently the license forbidding
   modification really was intentional.

	http://sourceware.org/PR11213#c14

 - upstream folks want clarification from someone legally qualified

 - the SFLC which could provide legal advice would prefer to work with
   the Debian leadership instead of unrelated individuals

 - the Debian leadership (aka Stefano :)) requested that I ask you
   about timing

 - I personally would be happy if someone with a clue could give us
   the five-minute answer, which shouldn't require so much
   meta-discussion about who asks and when.  Anyone have a lawyer
   friend?