Re: php-memcached upload to stable-proposed-updates

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 03:02 +0400, Sergey B Kirpichev wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:34:18PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > > The full patch between this new package version and the version
> > > 1.0.2-1 currently in Squeeze is attached.
> >
> > +include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk
> >
> > Please could you prepare an update which doesn't introduce a new patch
> > system?  Yes, I realise this means directly changing the upstream files.
>
> Probably, yes.
>
> But what's wrong with using patch system?

There's nothing wrong with /using/ a patch system.  Introducing one, or
changing the system in use, as part of a stable update doesn't count as
a minimal fix with no unnecessary changes, however.  What seems a "small
and obvious" change to the packaging often ends up having unexpected
consequences; it's the same reason we don't bump debhelper compat levels
in stable updates, or introduce new (build-)dependencies unless they're
absolutely required in order to fix an important bug.

Regards,

Adam