Re: Iceweasel/Icedove ESR and Whezzy

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 07:13:08AM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Thank you for maintaining Iceweasel/Icedove.
>
>  Now I have a question about its release/update schedule.
>  As http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/ says, they'll
>  terminate Firefox 10.0.x ESR and move forward to 17.0.x. And its date
>  seems to be around Wheezy release. It means Iceweasel/Icedove will be
>  EOL before/after soon Wheezy release.
>
>  Will Iceweasel/Icedove be upgrade to 17.0.x after 10.0.x EOL?

No. It has too many reverse dependencies for this to be possible, even
if it were allowed (Debian doesn't usually bump software versions on a
stable release)

That being said, 17 is going to be released in 6 weeks, so presumably,
one would think it's possible to push it for wheezy. But really, it's
not. First, because of the same reverse dependencies. I doubt many of
them would survive the version bump. Another problem is that it won't
reach a releaseable state in a short time frame. Look at the build logs
of iceweasel 16:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=iceweasel&suite=experimental
Besides actual code problems on kfreebsd, it crashes on armel, ia64,
powerpc, s390, and sparc. 17 is likely to break in other ways (for
instance, ia64 just broke on 16, it was ok on 15). There are also a lot
of failures in the test suites that need to be addressed (there are also
such failures on 10, but there are less of them)

Mike