Re: Pre-approval request for upload of iproute

Hello!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:50:24PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Aug  6, 2012 at 13:12:14 +0200, Andreas Henriksson wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm seeking pre-approval for uploading the new upstream iproute2
> > release (20120801 a.k.a. v3.5.0, currently sitting in experimental)
> > targeting wheezy (via unstable).
> >
> I see there's now an even newer version in experimental.  Is that still
> something you'd like in wheezy?

I thought this issue was finalized after our last discussion on IRC.
If 3.5 was too controversial back then, 3.6 is probably even more so
today.

I won't push for this inclusion in wheezy myself anymore, but I did
consider it a waste to not give users the many small improvements that
has been made later on. Also as indicated many will probably want CoDeL
since it's part of the magic recepie for fixing bufferbloat
(and since backporting BQL was approved, why not fully support this
out of the box on wheezy with a matching iproute2 version?).
Maybe someone will step up to do a wheezy-backport for those who
needs it.... since iproute2 basically has no dependencies, it'll be
trivial to make.

If you're just asking for my recommendation on what to ship I'd
currently suggest the version in experimental plus this patch:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/shemminger/iproute2.git;a=commitdiff;h=7f747fd9377b8538adeba7332d25905ba08ac156
(I'll look at getting this patch into experimental ASAP.)

Having said that, shipping the version in wheezy is not in any way a
disaster..... (just a bit of a dissapointment.)

Looking forward to getting the wheezy release shipped (no matter the
state of iproute2)! Have a nice day!

--
Andreas Henriksson