postgresql-8.4/security newer than unstable / testing

Hi,

I mentioned this briefly on IRC a few days ago but mail's easier to
track, particularly when there's several parties involved.

The recent postgresql-8.4 stable-security release has a version number
which is higher than the packages currently in sid/wheezy.  In order to
include those packages in a point release (and thus in stable) without
breaking the version constraints between suites, the packages in
sid/wheezy need to have a version which is at least equal to what will
be in stable after the point release.

Often this is achieved by ftp-master copying the packages "upwards"
during the point release.  My understanding is that this would be
unwelcome in this case, as it would re-introduce a number of binary
packages which have been dropped from the wheezy packages.

As far as I can see, the easiest way to resolve this would therefore be
a no-changes upload to unstable with a higher version number, which we
could then allow to transition to testing.  This could be a fake
"8.4.14.really.8.4.12" style version, but this has the potential to
break again in future.  My suggestion would be to add an epoch, ensuring
that the wheezy packages always have a higher version - I've assumed
that the packages won't be seeing any further updates for jessie.

Comments / thoughts / cluebats welcome.

Regards,

Adam