Re: Fixing mess involving emacs23, emacs24, and the emacs metapackage

[Added Rob to recipients, as I assumed he's not subscribed]

On 01.08.2012 13:04, Axel Beckert wrote:
Rob Browning wrote:
I made a bit of a mess with respect to the emacs metapackage in unstable
and wheezy that I'd like to fix.

The problem is that both emacs23 and emacs24 provide the emacs
metapackage,
[...]
One plausible solution would be to just move the emacs metapackage to its own emacs-defaults source package (a la gcc-defaults), and so a bit
of discussion on IRC produced a plan that I'd like to vet here:

- Upload a new emacs23 to for wheezy that doesn't provide the emacs binary. - Upload a new emacs-defaults for wheezy that provides the emacs binary. - Upload a new emacs24 to unstable that doesn't provide the emacs binary.

With "providing binary", do you mean "building a binary package" or
"containing a compiled binary file" as in "/usr/bin/emacs"?

The latter would likely break update-alternatives and non-trivial to
package, so I suspect you think of the emacs binary-_package_ being
built by the new emacs-defaults source-package.

That's what was discussed on IRC, yes. emacs-defaults would be a new source package building a single arch:all binary package named "emacs", with the same semantics as the existing package of that name produced from emacs2{3,4}.

With regards to the version of the emacs-defaults source package (or
at least the new emacs binary-package, AFAICS it'll need an epoch
added to go down from 24 to 23 again, i.e. use "1:23.$something".

Well, "1:23" would seem to work fine as well, given that it would presumably be a native package.

Rob - as no-one has raised any objections or other suggestions, I think we should move forward with this. Assuming it matches the plan as above, please feel free to go ahead with the upload of emacs-defaults and let us know once it hits NEW so that we can smile nicely at the ftp-team. I'd suggest we get that step sorted out before the uploads of emacs2{3,4} dropping the meta-package.

Regards,

Adam