request for feature approval, mksh

Hi,

sorry to disturb, but I'll be uploading a bugfix of mksh (korn shell)
soon, and would like to include a feature I forgot earlier but would be
useful to have in wheezy so scripts can depend on it. This goes under
guideline #6, as I believe more escaping is Always Good, especially in
shell scripts.

The implementation is probably less than a dozen lines (plus manpage
and testsuite diff), and it would look like this:

foo=a\ b => 'a b'
foo=$(printf 'a\nb#c') => $'a\nb\u20ACc'

These are safe for reentry in mksh, and safe for transport including
copy/paste. Alternatively, currently, scripts can use the construct
'${foo//\'/\'\\\'\'}' but that's very slow and doesn't escape special
characters.

I'm really sorry for forgetting this.

The other changes I'd like to submit (debdiff will follow once I know
what I can upload) are bugfixes: a regression in tabcompletion tracked
as LP#1025843, two more bugs in the same piece of code found while
debugging this, and a time-of-definition/time-of-check mistake in the
buildsystem, accidentally leaving an mksh-specific feature enabled when
it was requested/intended to be disabled.

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos

PS: Sorry for being slow on the fusionforge-plugin-mediawiki front.
    It *is* on my task list at work. Promise.
--
<Natureshadow> Dann mach ich git annex copy --to shore und fertig ist das
<Natureshadow> das ist ja viel cooler als ownCloud ...