Re: emacs24 got freeze exception, what happens to emacs add-ons?

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors@iki.fi> (03/07/2012):
> just after freeze I heard that emacs24 got a freeze-exception [1]. I
> maintain magit which is an add-on to emacs. Since magit does not support
> xemacs21 or emacs22 it has to maintain an explicit list of supported
> emacs versions as per debian emacs policy [2].
>
> If we release wheezy with emacs24 I think we should update all emacs
> add-on packages that maintain such explicit version lists. If we don't
> do that users will be quite puzzled when they find out that their
> favourite add-ons stop working after they upgrade to emacs24.
>
> I uploaded magit 1.1.1-3 now to unstable with minimal changes [3].

Apparently emacs24 isn't quite in testing yet, since it got uploaded
again:
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/emacs24/news/20120705T013216Z.html

And there are strange things happening, even on i386:
  https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=emacs24&arch=i386

I'm not sure we're going to let any new packages enter testing at this
point…

Mraw,
KiBi.