Re: haskell transition: Remove, Transition, Upload Fix or Upload Fix, Wait, Transition?

On 08/06/12 11:33, Joachim Breitner wrote:

besides some very few remaining rebuilds on mipsel and sparc, the
haskell transition is almost ready, if there were not a release
critical bug in haskell-cryptocipher affecting big-endian machines
(mips, mipsel, ppc, s390x, s390x, sparc).

I have finally come up with a proper fix, which requires patching
haskell-cpu and haskell-cryptocipher, and is on its way to
experimental to see if it actually works :-)

I see two modes of action now:

A) In order to not hold up the transition: 1. remove all affected
packages (i.e. all reverse dependencies of haskell-cryptocipher on
these 6 architectures) in unstable 2. let the transition happen 3.
upload the fix to unstable 4. let all these packages build again 5.
transition them

IOW, remove the following list?

 haskell-cryptocipher
 haskell-clientsession
 haskell-cprng-aes
 haskell-tls
 haskell-tls-extra
 haskell-authenticate
 haskell-hledger-web
 haskell-http-enumerator
 haskell-yesod-core
 haskell-yesod
 haskell-yesod-auth
 haskell-yesod-form
 haskell-yesod-json
 haskell-yesod-persistent
 haskell-yesod-static

(Computed using "dak rm" so might be an over-set)

or B) 1. Upload the fix to unstable now. 2. Wait for all reverse
dependencies be built on these six architectures. 3. Do the
migration then.

If the fix and other packages are ready, then what will we gain by removing haskell-cryptocipher (and r-deps) from testing? If they are really fixed in sid, I think we can age them to let haskell stack migrate.

But looking at the actual state, there is stuff not ready yet:
- haskell-tls doesn't look ready at all (but listed above)
- as a consequence, haskell-tls-extra is not ready too (but listed above)
- haskell-cprng-aes is not too (but listed above)
- haskell-diagrams is not ready
- the following packages need to go away from testing first (that
shouldn't be an issue though): haskell-happstack-util,
haskell-happstack-state, haskell-happstack-ixset, haskell-happstack-data.
- probably more…

I'll will do a britney test run later to see what is really needed to
fix/remove/age.

I’m worried that B would make the large transition happen after the
freeze.

We were already worried when the transition started without
coordination.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي