Re: hurd-i386 qualification for Wheezy

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 06:08:16PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On 19.05.2012 19:04, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> >I'm not sure we've ever released with an architecture which was in
> >either broken or fucked, but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm
> >mistaken on that.
>
> Anyone? :-)
>
> Opinions as to whether it makes sense to release an architecture in
> either of those states would also be welcome.

I do not think it is sensible to release an architecture that is in
broken/fucked. That's what something like debian ports is for.

In order to release hurd, even as a tech preview, we need hurd in
testing and users actually testing it. This is a problem at this stage
because:
* there isn't a functional D-I port yet
* it doesn't support debian style networking (ifupdown etc)
* it doesn't support any meaningful available new hardware (USB, SATA)
* its archive coverage is far lower than required

Thus, I do not see how we can release with the architecture. More
precisely, I do not think that the architecture will give our users the
same support and stability as any other architecture in the stable
release, and I think that the architecture's inclusion will negatively
impact the release process as a whole.

Hence, I have updated the architecture release table
(http://release.debian.org/wheezy/arch_qualify.html) to mark hurd as
'no' as a candidate for a release. I'm aware that this will not be the
news that is wanted, but I do believe that it is the correct decision,
and it would not be right to delay this further.

Neil