Re: short-term plans for libtiff

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 11:31:23 -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> I wonder whether I might be able to get some kind of response on my
> proposal to upload a tiff with libtiff5-alt-dev.  To help you make a
> decision, I'm supplying the information you probably need.  I'm hoping
> you'll be able to give me a quick decision, or at least give me a quick
> response indicating when you will be able to make a decision.  I've laid
> everything out here, so you should just be able to read through this.

That plan doesn't seem entirely crazy.  Rather convoluted, but I guess
there's no way around that if you want that thing to work.

A case I've seen more often is reverse depends of libgeotiff that can't
be built because libgeotiff-dev depends on libtiff5-dev and they want
libtiff-dev.  There's probably no good way to solve that though.

And *sigh* every time I look there's more people that think
build-depending on libtiff5-dev is a good idea.

Cheers,
Julien