Haskell Plans for wheezy

Dear Release-Team,

the Haskell team has been discussion what we would like to see in wheezy
and I’d like to keep you in the loop.

Short version: Some new packages will be uploaded during the next week
or two, then we allow things to stabilize, then everything ought to
migrate to testing in one big swoop, ideally end of May.

Longer version:
After some cleanup today, no unsolved release critical bugs remain
(AFAIK). hmake is buggy (FTBFS), but anyways obsolete and we’ll probably
ask for removal or fix it in time.

A new version of the Haskell Platform (2012.4.0.0) is coming up in the
next few days, the first to include the latest version of the compiler,
7.4.1, which we already have in Debian. Hence, or main goal is to get
this combination into wheezy. The platform includes version bumps of
Haskell packages relatively low in the dependency tree (transformers and
mtl). Then changes are small, but a number of packages will have to be
upgraded to newer upstream versions which declare the updated
mtl/transformer packages as supported. A small number of packages do not
yet have an official release supporting that, I have pinged the
maintainers today and we will, lacking a proper release to use, patch
the packages in question. I hope that upgrading the packages to version
supporting the latest mtl version will not cause new problems to creep
in.

There is a chance that a new minor release of the compiler, GHC 7.4.2,
will be released in time. We’ll look at the changes and see if we want
them. Using that will require rebuilding lots of packages, but otherwise
I would expect a problem from this minor release. It would allow us to
release with less stuff in debian/patches, though.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner