Re: Architecture qualification for wheezy - status of Linux kernel

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:48 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 11:24:48PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > * s390/s390x: Actively supported upstream by IBM.
>
> Sometimes to actively supported. :-)
>
> >                                                    Only runs in virtual
> > machines,
>
> It runs in three different environments: Bare hardware, LPAR and VM.
> However the environments don't differ that much. The hardware usualy
> have two hardware assisted virtualisation layers; LPAR is the first and
> used on almost every machine, z/VM or kvm is the second.
>
> > * powerpc
> > There is no Debian kernel maintainer for powerpc.  I also see a problem
> > of hardware availability for prospective maintainers (no new PowerPC
> > Macs since 2006; PS3 'OtherOS' support removed in 2010).  I am unsure
> > whether this port should be included in wheezy.
>
> Debian have access to at least one Power7 machine located at OSUOSL. The
> machine list shows three LPAR running on it.

Yes, the project has these resources.  But a kernel porter will of
course need to install and test new kernels.  Does the porterbox provide
nested virtualisation for any developer?  (For some reason we haven't
enabled KVM_BOOK3S_64, which I think means the answer is currently 'no',
but we can fix that part, leaving the administrative issue of
permissions to use KVM.)

How about other PowerPC hardware, in particular 32-bit machines?  How,
if at all, would a new kernel porter support these?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Hoare's Law of Large Problems: