Re: slbackup for s-p-u

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 08:38 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> On Di 24 Apr 2012 23:09:41 CEST "Adam D. Barratt" wrote:
>
> > Looking through the diff, "drop" appears to mean:
> >
> > + if (system("dpkg --compare-versions \"".$ARGV[1]."\" le
> > \"0.0.12-3\"") == 0) {
> > +	system("test -f /etc/cron.daily/slbackup && rm  /etc/cron.daily/slbackup");
> > +    }
> >
> > At a minimum that should be checking that the file in question hasn't
> > been modified since the version shipped by the package, otherwise it's
> > an invitation for a new RC bug.
>
> For a package intended to be uploaded to squeeze-updates, will it be
> ok to introduce usage of dpkg-maintscript-helper into the package? For
> squeeze, do I additionally have to Pre-Depend the package on dpkg (>=
> 1.15.7.2), explictly?

Given that one can't otherwise rely on dpkg having been upgraded when
the new package is installed (e.g. for partial upgrades), yes, it would
either be required or the package's behaviour would need to be sane
without it.  I'm arguing with myself about adding d-m-h; it does help
avoid some possible issues, but the pre-depends isn't great.

This is one of the reasons that modifying conffile handling in stable
isn't generally a great plan; making sure it works for oldstable ->
stable, inside stable and from stable -> stable+1 can be tricky.

A quick search of the package's changelog reveals that the move to
cron.daily was introduced in version 0.0.12-1:

   * Now shipping cronjob in /etc/cron.daily/ and not creating one in
     postinst (requirement from Debian Policy that it must be conffile).

That may have been based on a slight misunderstanding; policy only
requires cron jobs to be configuration files, although making them
conffiles is one way of fulfilling that requirement.  The 0.0.12-1
upload was made in early February 2010, which was well before the
Squeeze release. :-/

Regards,

Adam