Re: binNMUing on some architectures breaks Multi-arch: same

On 11.04.2012 11:50, Joachim Breitner wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 11.04.2012, 11:01 +0100 schrieb Adam D. Barratt:
On 11.04.2012 10:30, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> The current state is that M-A: same packages must have the same
> version
> and identical Changelog files across all architectures. That means
> binNMU on all architectures or a sourcefull upload.

A source upload isn't "just a rebuild" in Debian.  It's an NMU and
requires building and testing the package with at least as much care as any other NMU would. It doesn't scale, it's a waste of resources and
I'm not convinced that it's something that it's appropriate for the
Release Team to be doing on a regular basis.

while I agree with your other points, I wonder why doing a sourceful
upload without source changes, built in a clean environment such as
pbuilder, should require more testing than scheduling binNMUs, i.e.
none?

Culturally, I suspect many maintainers view an NMU - even one with no actual changes - as a different beast from a binary rebuild. Whether that should be the case is a different matter.

From a technical perspective, even for a small package there's still significantly more work involved in "fetch source, update chroot, rebuild, sign, upload" than "schedule binNMU, wait for the build to fail or the package to appear in the archive". Personally the latter is also much more possible to do whilst away from my signing key - e.g. during my lunch break at work. For larger packages the investment in time (and bandwidth) required is also potentially much larger.

Regards,

Adam