Re: Automatically identify the suite to use for udeb fetching

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:18, Adam D. Barratt <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> wrote:
+BUILDD_TARGET=$(shell [[ -e /etc/buildd_target ]] && sed 's,sid,unstable,g' /etc/buildd_target || echo "")
+ifeq (${BUILDD_TARGET},)
+USE_UDEBS_FROM=$(shell grep -q '/sid$' /etc/debian_version && echo "unstable" || cat /etc/debian_version)

Right now, on a stable system, that will result in USE_UDEBS_FROM being
set to "6.0.4".  That doesn't seem like it will do anything useful,
particularly as there's no such directory in dists/ (there's a
"Debian6.0.4" symlink, but I imagine that trying to get apt to use that
is unlikely to work well).

Ok; I can fix this using "lsb_release -c -s" in case it is not unstable.

I realise that the plan is for it to be handled via the new variable, I
just wonder if there's an alternative approach that doesn't rely on
changes to every {old,}stable, testing and experimental build chroot.  I
pondered suggesting parsing sources.list, but then realised that won't
work if sources.list.d files are in use.

I did a version that parsed sources.list before but it has too many possible complications here.

> This would allow us to have the experimental building working, using
> experimental buildds, and use unstable for beta and rc releases. When
> stable comes, buildds can set the suite according too.

Has this been discussed with the buildd folks yet, given they'd need to
be the ones adding all the flag files?

Only at Debconf; after that no. We ought to discuss this with them too.

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br