Bugs in stable c-ares package

Hello,

I have a question regarding the c-ares package (a library to query the DNS) bug #607438. The bug report has a patch attached. But browsing the upstream repository shows many fixes since v1.7.3.

How should I go on here? I see three options:

1) Update stable version with the single patch from the bug report
2) Update the stable version to 1.7.5 (the library hides private symbols and should be easily replaceable) 3) Cherry pick all the patches from below (and maybe ask upstream to verify the list)

Thanks,
Gregor

This is the CHANGES file annotated with the corresponding git commits:

Version 1.7.6 (unreleased)

ares_destroy.c: fix segfault in ares_destroy_options()
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/b816675c0f1dddfbff5fb1edc99ee484ccf4c1b6

ares_getnameinfo: fix random results with c-ares 1.7.5
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/1f8f14d21ebfcddd18c6c7ba7c74a160b64575ac

ares_init.c: fix segfault triggered in ares_init_options()
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/3d84eb3bbca244da90e17750a31520a1b1b24e88

Version 1.7.5 (August 16, 2011)

Fixed:

 o detection of semicolon comments in resolv.conf
(?)https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/b2dafb6974da4f3b80dda3bd343989157d8c36a0
 o avoid using system's inet_net_pton affected by the WLB-2008080064 advisory
 o replacement ares_inet_net_pton affected by the WLB-2008080064 advisory
 o replacement ares_inet_ntop affected by potential out of bounds write
 o added install target to Makefile.msvc
 o only fall back to AF_INET searches when looking for AF_UNSPEC addresses
(?)https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/bb4096effef7f0001339669a4abf9448ec1f8743
 o fixed ares_parse_*_reply memory leaks
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/978a929b405421bf53f8daf56451b11e3ee4fc03
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/18b6d475dc160efba24861e584dd6de92a573862
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/a1116723d40b402d0690061c1b23858c33953d79
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/09f8a05573e3b94c50f0f8f72e39c48f24b7cf43
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/bffd67f16a8f42fe6dbf79ab2e39d92eea05c8a6
 o Use correct sizeof in ares_getnameinfo()
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/22c527cc87438d219fd3a7df73fa54bd6a78a787
 o IPv6-on-windows: find DNS servers correctly
 o man pages: docs for the c-ares utility programs
 o getservbyport replacement for Win CE
 o config_sortlist: (win32) missing else
 o advance_tcp_send_queue: avoid NULL ptr dereference
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/366cd6d54dfdf0d487f60333c45e9c7da9327050
 o configure: fix a bashism
 o ares_expand_name: Fix encoded length for indirect root
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/70b726c3343f83d7d3460dce0b24e8930c6f6195

Not mentioned in CHANGES:
ares_free_hostent(NULL) should be a noop
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/adf75c56c419e23be63de86913e587e502f74c5b

Fix incorrect allocation in ares_parse_ptr_reply()
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/654733a3998f0f72a67add9e386e550fe02da2b2

Fix incorrect sizeof() in ares_save_options
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/8e457f2c41621a86f917a1acb98efb1196e7571c

Version 1.7.4 (December 9, 2010)

Changed:

 o local-bind: Support binding to local interface/IPs, see
   ares_set_local_ip4, ares_set_local_ip6, ares_set_local_dev

Fixed:

 o memory leak in ares_getnameinfo
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/d6b869894190e15960987786d337dc8d42f8285b
 o add missing break that caused get_ares_servers to fail
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/293cd3170019015b6ce40f9fa5efc45bd89dad1a
 o ares_parse_a_reply: fix CNAME response parsing
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/2c63440127feed70ccefb148b8f938a2df6c15f8
 o init_by_options: don't copy an empty sortlist
 o Replaced uint32_t with unsigned int to fix broken builds
   on a couple of platforms
 o Fix lookup with HOSTALIASES set
https://github.com/bagder/c-ares/commit/fa0dd472cd647f94d8d1937b44ec87f4964c0b08
 o adig: fix NAPTR parsing