Re: Boost defaults change (1.46.1 --> 1.48)

On 26/12/11 at 22:40 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The latest Boost (1.48) is now in testing, and I'd like to switch the
> defaults.  My first plan was to simply announce the switch then make
> it.  I did so and got an immediate email from the release team
> asking to revert the default change, which I did.
>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 08:00:15PM -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:33:26PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
>
> > > I heard of at least two failures in the last couple of hours:
> > > libreoffice (#652681), and wesnoth (#652677).  As such, I'd appreciate
> > > if you could:
> > > - revert boost-defaults to 1.46 for the time being
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > > - test-build at least the most prominent reverse deps against 1.48
> > >   before bumping it again
> > > - contact debian-release before that bump, so we can coordinate a timing
> > >   that doesn't suck with regards to other ongoing transitions.
>
> Now I'd like to coordinate a time for the change.
>
> I'd like to point out that any resulting build failures are quite easy
> to fix: either
>  (a) contact package upstream for boost 1.48 changes; or
>  (b) change the build-dependency from libboostfoo-dev to libboostfoo1.46-dev.
>
> It would be quite helpful to do a rebuild of the 237 boost reverse
> dependencies.  Lucas Nussbaum seems to be able to do this: can you run
> a rebuild with updated boost-defaults?

I already did that, since i did a rebuild while boost-defaults was
pointing to .46. You can find the results in collab-qa svn, in
archive-rebuilds/2011-12-20-lsid64-amd64

If it's only 237 packages, I would prefer if you rebuilt them manually:
the time taken to organize the rebuild is likely to be higher than the
time it would take to just rebuild them locally.

Lucas