Re: Debian artwork for Wheezy

I would like to participate in a new contest.

I participated in the last one [1], helped to bugfix our actual theme and contributed some other artwork to Debian [2] [3] [4].

I remember the last contest had some flaws. So here are some suggestions.

1. A contest should have a fixed deadline until proposals can be made. After that deadline no new proposals are accepted.

2. After the deadline has ended, artists and all interested people have additional time to discuss their proposals on the debian-desktop list. Everyone can suggest changes and artists can do enhancements. The timeframe for this extra time should be narrow, but wide enough that work can be done. I suggest two weeks.

3. After that time we should come to a decision. I see two possibilities for that: A jury or a poll.

4. If we have a jury, its members should be named _before_ the contest. I don‘t think it is helpful if after the end of the contest people pop up out of the blue, each declaring authority. It gives the (wrong) impression that the loudest people have the say.

5. It would be perfect if the jury members represent Debian in some way.

6. If we have a poll, it should be possible for developers and users to take part in it. The appearance of the Debian desktop is of great importance to developers and users alike. Although it can be easily changed, it is still the first look of the Debian distribution. And we know we can fall in love on first looks.

7. The poll should be publicly announced. The more people know about it the better. A poll that is announced behind closed doors is a farce.

8. There should be enough time for the announcement to spread. Developers in times of a freeze may be in a haste. So lets give them time to find out about the proposals and to decide. I suggest ten days.

9. The poll should have a clear deadline. After the deadline no more votes are accepted.

10. If we vote openly per mail to the debian-desktop list we have the advantage that everyone can control the correct counting. Nevertheless two independent people should be named to actually do and present the counting.

Thanks, regards
Ulrich

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/lisp-machine
[2] http://www.ulrich-hansen.de/debian/lenny.htm