Re: please remove slony1 from testing

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 22:13 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On mån, 2011-12-05 at 19:58 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 20:15 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Please remove the slony1 source package (not to be confused with the
> > > slony1-2 source package) from testing, as it's obsolete and at the end
> > > of its transition period.  A marginally related bug is #639477, which
> > > I've set to serious, to keep the package out of testing.
> >
> > Given that the package appears to no longer have any
> > reverse-dependencies, is there any reason to keep it in unstable rather
> > than just removing it all together?
>
> I was under the impression that the ftpmasters arrange removal from
> unstable, and I was also under the impression that that would happen
> once it's gone from testing.  But I could be mistaken.

I think you have things back to front. :-)  ftp-master do arrange
removal from unstable, on receipt of a bug report (or semi-automagically
if a source no longer builds any binary packages, for instance) and with
no direct regard as to whether the package is in testing or not.

Removals from testing automatically follow removals from unstable (once
there are no reverse-dependencies left in testing), not vice versa.  If
the intent is to have the package removed from both testing and
unstable, then the right place to start is unstable.

Regards,

Adam