Re: Multiarch support in dpkg — really in time for wheezy?

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> What worries me is that there is multi-arch work in dpkg, work that has
> its origins in Debian. That work is ready enough to be deployed in
> popular Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu, but is not in Debian proper
> yet. That is bad for Debian morale and should be avoided. Moreover, that
> work is also considered ready enough by other dpkg co-maintainers, by
> the Release Team, and by various porters, which have all asked multiple
> times to have that work in the Debian archive.

You could also make a case from a terminological perspective as well.
Unstable is where development in Debian is supposed to happen, so it's
perfectly acceptable to upload unfinished/unstable changes, and if you
happen to break something (at least with dpkg) you'll have hundreds of
eyes looking at what you broke and trying to figure out how to fix it.
 So anyway, don't worry so much about breaking unstable.  That's what
its there for.

Best wishes,
Mike