Re: [RFC] Breaking britney2's backward compatibility

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 22:09 +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 08:49:03PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 19:42:24 +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > > The key question is whether we think it's enough of an issue that we
> > > want to stay in compatible mode until we could implement something like
> > > the opt-in model.
> > I'd say turn off compatible mode, and see if that ends up being an issue
> > over the next few months.
>
> I agree on that.  It's something we can revert, as long as we keep the option
> working.

fwiw, if I'm reading the code correctly then the feature can be
effectively disabled by emptying the list of archive sections to which
"smooth updates" apply.  That would mean that we wouldn't have to worry
particularly about ensuring compatible mode worked, as we could keep the
other features and just not use smooth updates.

Regards,

Adam