Re: GMP transition: 4.3.2 to 5.0.1?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:15:44PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 04:48 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 01:39:39PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > > Have any of the reverse-dependencies been test-built against the new
> > > version?  Does the move to 5.0.1 imply any source changes being required
> > > for reverse-dependencies, or "just" rebuilds?  (I say "just" as there
> > > appear to be around 350 r-dependencies, including at least five from the
> > > GCC suite).
> >
> > I haven't done any test-builds.  Since the -dev package changed name,
> > I presume that "just rebuild" won't work; rather, the sources have
> > to edit their build-deps.
>
> Out of interest, why is the -dev package versioned?

I don't recall.  I believe it has been versioned since before I took
over maintenance.

> > Shall I go ahead and upload the source gmp5?  Then both gmp versions
> > will co-exist in the repository and packages can choose to move to
> > gmp5 at their leisure.
>
> After some further investigation, it looks like this isn't feasible.
> Neither gmp 4.3.2 nor 5.0.1 version their symbols and with both versions
> in the archive simultaneously and co-installable, there's a reasonable
> risk of a process ending up with both libraries loaded in to its address
> space, which is generally not a good idea.

OK.  So with the recent change for ia64, the experimental build shows
no failures though 3 arches haven't been built (alpha, hppa, mips).
You previously said hppa doesn't have an autobuilder for experimental.
I believe the other two did build the previous version, but I can no
longer find the buildd page that shows all the build log history so I
can't verify that.

Matthias asks:

> did you check, that all gcc versions do build with the new version
> on all architectures, and that the gcc testsuite doesn't show
> regressions with the new version? will gcc continue to work, while
> re-building mpfr and mpclib with the new gmp?

What I have done is upload gmp to the experimental autobuilders.  The
GMP package build runs a comprehensive test suite that is passing on
all the architectures available to the experimental autobuilders.
This gives me some comfort that the code is reasonably sound.  In
addition, the fact that GMP 5 has been out for over a year gives me
some reason to believe that upstream sources have been adapted to
change in API.

Clearly one should be mindful of the effect on GCC -- that's why I
asked the question on debian-gcc.  Do you have any specific concerns?
Is there a GCC autobuilder suite that can do all these rebuilds?  I
will upload there.  However, to ask me to manually try all
combinations of architecture and GCC version is setting the bar too
high, IMHO.

So: what is the next step?

Thanks,
-Steve