Re: RFC: use of shlib bump for libc dependency on new multiarch directories?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:03:18AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) [110223 22:53]:
> > We can handle this one of two ways.  We can either bump the minimal
> > dependency of *all* packages against libc, by adjusting shlibs/symbols in
> > the eglibc package; or we can make adding the dependency a part of the
> > standard library multiarchification recipe.

> Or third, we could add the new path to eglibc in a stable point
> update and into unstable, and either
> a) have a virtual package provided, and for the core utilities
> pre-depend on that virtual package (so that user systems are never
> broken by the upgrade), or
> b) don't multiarch the core utilities for the next stable release.

b) doesn't help.  This is about libraries changing location and making sure
that they're on the runtime linker's path; this will affect every core
library on the system and there's no way to except the core /utilities/ from
that.  (If you want a multiarch X stack this cycle, you need a multiarch
zlib.  Guess what depends on zlib? :)

A virtual package is a good idea, though - in fact, it's such a good idea
that I remember now we discussed this back at DebConf and I'd subsequently
forgotten about it.  Thanks for jogging my memory! :)  Yes, whether or not
we add support in a stable point release, I think that if we don't go the
dpkg-shlibdeps route we should use a 'multiarch' or 'multiarch-foo' virtual
package.