Re: RFC: use of shlib bump for libc dependency on new multiarch directories?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 01:52:35PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> [1] i486 is an arbitrary name that happens to correspond to the base
> instruction set that was in use on Debian at the time multiarch was first
> formulated, but it doesn't match the current base instruction set on Debian
> (i586) or Ubuntu (i686), doesn't match the directory configured in the
> current eglibc package on Ubuntu (/lib/i686-linux-gnu), and is going to look
> weird to other distributions when we try to talk to them about this since
> they've also long since moved to i686 as their base compatibility.

Sorry to skip multiarch[1], but I need to comment on this one.  Isn't the base
instruction set still i486?  I still haven't found any practical example of a
change of ISA between i486 and i586.  For all means they seem to be equivalent,
with i686 being the next break.  The only exception that might be is that 486
can actually lack FPUs, while Pentiums don't.  But for all practically relevant
cases I'd assume that they don't, and I'd be surprised if we'd cater for that.

Out of curiosity: Where will optimized libraries be placed?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] As you said pre-depends are messy but the safe bet.  It would be best if
    we could somehow ensure that libc6 is upgraded first and that everything
    needed for the unpack is still there at that point (i.e. some liberal
    use of pre-depends somewhere in just the base set instead of everywhere).