Re: Task installability and britney

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 04:31:51PM -0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> In order to ensure that packages marked as "key" for a task remain present
> and installable in testing, britney uses a generated "faux" package which
> depends on each of the packages. This approach has, with the odd minor
> niggle, worked fine for some time but breaks down as soon as the set of
> packages involved are not completely coinstallable; this is now the case
> due to the gnome-desktop task indirectly depending on gdm3, and the xfce
> and lxde desktop tasks depending on gdm. The net effect is that the faux
> package becomes useless for the purpose of determining installability of
> the set of key packages, as it is itself uninstallable.

I think the non-coinstallability of the tasks should be fixed.  Why do they
*depend* on a display manager after all?  That means that you cannot use those
metapackages on multiuser setups where you have to choose your desktop manager
wisely (because it needs to get along with all DEs installed).

Kind regards
Philipp Kern