Re: update of DDP related web pages (phase 1)

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 05:57:43PM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Mon Feb 07, 2011 at 23:04:05 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> "Debian FAQ" is DDP document still in debiandoc-sgml.
>>
>> With upcoming version of debiandoc-sgml (1.2.20+), XML conversion should
>> be in good shape.  I will hold off such conversion.  Then *theming* will
>> be in better shape if you are talking for wheezy/
>>
>> > I shortly looked into them, they seem to be build with docbook.
>>
>> Are you talking about this for squeeze 6.0.1?
>
>might be an option. Added d-release@ and d-cd@ to CC for that reason.
>[ to put them into the loop: we are currently discussing to have some of
>the docbook documentation (release notes, installation manual)
>rerendered with the Debian website theme for 6.0.1 ]

OK, that'd be cute. Although I'm also worred about the potential
breakage on the CDs if the release notes get any bigger. We had a
last-minute nightmare trying to make things fit on release day on the
KDE CDs, and I don't want to have to repeat the experience. :-/

In future, it would be nice to maybe re-think what we put on which
CDs. Some people have suggested having a separate CD for docs, which
I'll admit I'm not such a fan of for a variety of reasons. I'm tempted
to suggest that we might only put the HTML versions of the
installation guide and release notes on the CDs (omitting the PDFs),
but put all the versions on DVD. Or something; what do you think? This
might be a useful route for the squeeze point releases.

On a wider note: we're also rapidly getting to the point where a
single CD is just *not* big enough to contain all the bits for a
sensible Gnome/KDE desktop. I don't think we can usefully continue
with single-CD installs for them. :-/ Maybe that's the answer,
instead.

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth