Re: Accepted bup 0.17b-2squeeze1 (source i386)

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jan  4, 2011 at 10:03:00 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:

>>  bup (0.17b-2squeeze1) testing-proposed-updates; urgency=low
>>  .
>>    * use python-support to tightly version python dependency,
>>      needed due to the binary extensions. Thanks Jakub Wilk.
>>      Closes: #608568.

> *sigh*

> if you're going to use dpkg v3, could you please avoid the automatic
> patch "feature"?  It turns a trivial fix into
> because
>  patches/debian-changes-0.17b-1         |   58 --------------------------------
>  patches/debian-changes-0.17b-2squeeze1 |   59 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you're going to always generate a single Debian patch for whatever
reason (I do this because the packaging is managed in Git with separate
branches per change and I don't like any of the systems that turn Git
branches into patches), add a debian/source/options file containing:

    single-debian-patch

(and ideally add a debian/source/patch-header file with the header
explaining why you're doing this).  That will force the patch name to
always be debian-changes.  People reviewing the package will still see a
diff of a diff unless they unpack the package and and diff the trees with
the patch applied, but at least the file name won't change and the diff of
the diff will be relatively meaningful.

Some might argue for using local-options instead of options so that NMU
diffs would be separated into their own files.  I prefer using options,
but opinions will vary.