Re: Choosing a stable+2 release name BEFORE the freeze

Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 05:10:30PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> So, my request is quite simple. Could the name for the release after
>> Wheezy be chosen when Squeeze is release?
>
> Nah.  And it's not that likely that you could do something useful with it
> anyway.  (Given that we don't support skipping releases and it's possible that
> you cannot debootstrap the new one with an environment two versions earlier.)
>
> Kind regards,
> Philipp Kern

I think that, as always, I expressed myself like a shit. :)

Let me try again, because the above shows I didn't explain well (there's
no relationship at all with "skipping releases", or even "debootstrap
the new one with an environment two versions earlier").

August, Squeeze isn't frozen, in my DTC-Xen, you can choose, as a
debootstrap option: Etch, Lenny, Squeeze. I can't have wheezy, because I
don't know it's name yet.

July, Squeeze is frozen, DTC-Xen is in it, but it wont be able to setup
Wheezy. So I had to add it, and ask the release team to accept a change
in my package, just in order to add the new name. There was no other way
so that the version in stable knows how to install the testing
distribution with debootstrap.

So yes, I couldn't do anything with the name, except ... have it stored
in my package in SID to prepare the future, so that my package in stable
can debootstrap stable+1.

Does it make sense now?

Thomas