Re: Python 3 support in Squeeze

[Adam D. Barratt, 2010-09-03]
> On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 00:44 +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > We plan to upload such NEW versions of Squeeze packages to experimental²
> > (one of ftp-team members, who is a member of our team, will help us with
> > that), test it there and if everything will be ok - upload to unstable
> > and ask for freeze exception³.
>
> Has the initial side of that process begun yet (i.e. the preparation of
> the new packages and uploads to experimental)?

I can have my packages ready really soon (I did some initial work). I
can also prepare patches for the ones I listed previously (I took a look
at them before sending my mail). Then I plan to write some instructions
so that more people will join.

> > Please note that in most (all?) cases 2to3 tool (which converts
> > python2.X code to python3.X one) will have to be used (again, no new
> > upstream versions) so patching the code in Squeeze (security bugs, etc.)
> > will not have to be done twice (at least in most cases).
>
> Adding new packages at this stage of the release process obviously
> carries a certain degree of risk, and the auto-generated aspect of the
> code has the potential to add more.
>
> How confident are you in the code produced by 2to3?

all packages I listed were checked by upstreams (and they claim 2to3 did
a good job). I don't think it's a good idea to convert sources that
upstream didn't test with Python 3 and I don't plan to convert such
packages.

> If one of the packages involved
> needed a security update in stable, what are the chances that 2to3 would
> fail to convert the patched code, produce a script which doesn't run,
> doesn't work or (hopefully a very unlikely worst case) doesn't properly
> fix the bug?

how about sending such patches to debian-python@l.d.o? You can also ping
me directly.