Re: Freeze exception (python-pylibacl, python-pyxattr)?

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 09:27:18AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Iustin,
>
> sorry for not coming back to you earlier.

Not a problem, I was on vacation :)

> On 08/07/2010 12:36 PM, Iustin Pop wrote:
> >Oh, these are old conflicts from etch (IIRC) from when the python policy
> >was to generate separate packages for each Python version, and I just
> >changed them to Breaks according to the policy 3.9.0.
> >
> >I guess they can be dropped completely, but I wanted to do that only
> >after squeeze.
> >
> >Did I misread the policy regarding when to use conflicts/breaks?
>
> I don't think you should change those old Conflicts to Breaks,
> though.  The issue is not transient and there is nothing to upgrade
> to.  I have to admit that this new policy requirement was new to me,
> but considering that we had some trouble ensuring proper upgrade
> paths when Breaks were used, Conflicts seem more appropriate to
> leave.

I see.

> But FWIW we do not support skipping stable releases.  So if you are
> certain that they were not in Lenny (and already conflicted
> against), then you can just drop it.

Yes, Lenny has the 0.4.0 version of pyxattr, and the conflict is against
<< 0.2.1-1.1. Similar for pylibacl.

In this case, I will prepare a new upload to unstable, which removes the
Replaces and Breaks entirely. I'll ping this thread again once the usual
10-day have passed and the packages would otherwise be ready for
migration.

thank you!
iustin