Re: OK to update Boost defaults?

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 01:30 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:40:11PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 19:58 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>
> > > OK, boost 1.42 is now in testing.  Can you advise me if and when
> > > I can upload new boost-default packages pointing to 1.42?
> >
> > Please go ahead with the upload to unstable and let us know if you need
> > any related binNMUs scheduling.
>
> OK, I've uploaded boost-defaults.  It's presently in the NEW
> queue.

It's now out of NEW and built almost everywhere.

> I don't know how to determine whether binNMUs need scheduling.  Can
> you help me with that?

In general, "anything which (build-)depends on the old library".  In
this case, the ideal goal would be to have everything which uses
libraries from boost-defaults rebuilt in order to have them pick up the
1.42 dependencies.

As both boost 1.40 and boost 1.42 are in testing, we don't need to do
this as a "big bang" switchover; assuming there's not anything stopping
them, packages which have been rebuilt will be able to transition to
testing whenever they're otherwise ready.  Some of the packages will
also get uploaded anyway as part of the normal churn of unstable - for
instance, I'd expect all of the KDE-related packages to see an upload in
a couple of weeks time with the introduction of KDE4.4 to the archive.

Once the new boost-defaults is available on all architectures I'll start
working through the list of affected packages, probably starting with
some of the ones which build more quickly. :-)

Regards,

Adam