Re: Please help a apt ABI break by providing bin-NMUs

Hello (again) :)

$ ping release-team

2010/3/19 Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org>:
> bin-NMUs. The ABI break is required for following new features:
> - allow multiple ddtp translation downloads
> - allow Packages file without long descriptions [0]
> - preparation of the cache/data structures for multi-arch support
> - better logging

> On a sidetrack it would be good to know if we should tag RC bug
> #558784 [1] as squeeze-ignore and work together on the issue after the
> squeeze release or if untagged immediately as you are also the
> maintainer of the debian-archive-keyring.

It would be fabulous if someone from the release team could
comment on the first, the second or even both issues, so we can
plan ahead. If the running/pending transitions are to many
currently and if that will not change in the near future we will
try to backout the breaks so we can release an intermediate
non-breaker, but this additional work would be worthless
if you intend to give us a time-slot shortly after that…
Or did we miss something? Should we: open a bugreport,
provide a list of whatever is needed, ping at another place,
pray to (another) deity¹, …?
(I am new to the process so any hint/suggestion is welcomed)

I also want to emphasis that this is an ABI break - not an API
break, so in an ideal world all rdepends just need to be rebuild.
I tried this in the past weeks a few times with the bigger users²
and so far everything builds and works as expected.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

David Kalnischkies

¹ i know: bad joke - but i couldn't resist.
² libept, aptitude, python-apt, libapt-pkg-perl, debtags