Re: The 'git' Debian package in squeeze and possible mass bug filing

On 08.04.2010 06:10, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Gerrit Pape wrote:
>
>> I'm about to provide a new git binary package from the git-core (the
>> distributed revision control system) source, so that 'apt-get install
>> git' installs the git content tracker in squeeze.

> If the git-core package is removed, it is no longer available to
> satisfy dependencies.

Hm, making git-core a dummy/transitional package, which pulls the "git" package
on upgrades sounds like a better idea to me.
Otherwise git won't be updated when going from lenny to squeeze.
You can also change the rdeps more gradually, i.e. they won't break if you
upload the new package to unstable now.
For squeeze+1, when all rdeps have been updated, you can safely drop the
transitional package.

Just my 2¢,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?