Re: Pre-approval request for dpkg sync() changes for squeeze

Hi,

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Finally, while accepting patch 2) alone might make sense, accepting 1)
> alone would not.

BTW, I think we should go with patch 2 alone currently (i.e. just add
--force-unsafe-io).

Continuing to use sync() instead of fsync() is the best compromise we have
currently to have reasonable performance on Linux with all filesystems.

I don't think that introducing a big performance degradation on ext4 users
is a good idea at this point of the release cycle even if they have a
work-around with --force-unsafe-io.

I would like however to see --force-unsafe-io so that we can have the best
performance when we want it (in d-i, in temporary build chroots, etc.).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)