Re: [RFC] disabled root account / distinct group for users with administrative privileges

On 19.10.2010 08:15, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 00:38 +0200, Michael Biebl a écrit :
>> 1/ The sudo group in previous Debian releases had a different meaning: Members
>> of groups sudo could run sudo without needing a password.
>
> Did it exist in previous releases? I don’t recall seeing it in sudoers.

Bdale certainly knows the gory details and can tell us more.

But afaicr, sudo was compiled with EXEMPT_GROUP sudo in previous releases.

Bdale, please speak up if I tell non-sense here. Can you tell us a bit more
about the history of group sudo, please.

> I think it’s much more important to get this change into squeeze than to
> bikeshed the group name.

I definitely agree that we need to get this change into squeeze and that we need
to be careful to not get into bikeshedding about names.

On the other hand, choosing a group for a purpose like this should imho be done
carefully as changing the name later is hard if not impossible.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit overly cautious here and maybe my concerns are
unfounded. But that's the reason why I brought this up on debian-devel.

Regards,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?