unblock request for sisu 2.7.7-1 (code behaviour (& minor documentation) fixes for Squeeze (as documented))

Severity: normal

Please unblock sisu 2.7.7 for Squeeze.

This release is primarily in response to specific requests from Debian Live,
Live Manual contributors, who noted some behavioural deficiencies that needed
to be fixed for use with Live Manual and more generally. Amongst them:

* that the content of code-blocks were not numbered, and could not easily be
  referenced as required for technical writing
* that code-blocks did not honor empty lines
* that generated latex/pdf bulleted text did not have a fixed space between the
  bullet and the start of text, so text using bullets looked "ragged"
* that generated latex/pdf bulleted text did not have a hanging indent on lines
  following the bullet

These all involved relatively minor contained "fixes"/patches which are
incorporated into this release and further documented below.

There are also some minor documentation fixes.

For the convenience of the Release Team I append the debian/changelog and the
online git repository.

I am upstream for sisu the development of which has likewise been frozen since
the Debian freeze to ensure a stable sisu version release with Squeeze. (There
have been several unblock requests, all thankfully granted). This freeze period
has been a useful for sisu development, a chance to review the existing code
and feature set and its behaviour, with each freeze set of fixes release being
more reliable and consistent than the previous one.

Again, thanks Release Team, for your work (and for your patience). Thanks Julien
Cristau, Mehdi Dogguy and Neil McGovern for previous unblocks on sisu (and
sister package sisu-markup-samples).

Thank you,
Ralph Amissah

*- debian/changelog -*
2.7.7-1
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/s/sisu/current/changelog#versionversion2.7.7-1
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=223723168f7e707cda1fe3140b0527fd932c6089

sisu  (2.7.7-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  [ Ralph Amissah ] - debian freeze, code fixes
  * codeblocks, numbered markup option, fix
    (requested fix needed by debian-live:live-manual, Ben Armstrong, Mark
    Schneider, Daniel Baumann)
  * texpdf, codeblocks do not permit empty lines, fix
  * texpdf, bullet text, hanging indent, (regular (not grouped) text), fix
    (requested fix, Ben Armstrong)
  * texpdf, first space following a bullet should be fixed width, fix
    (requested fix and suggested solution, Ben Armstrong)
  * documentation related minor updates and fixes
  * changelog & version updates

-- Ralph Amissah <ralph@amissah.com>  Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:37:55 -0400

*- git repo --*
upstream
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/upstream
debian/sid
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian/sid

2.7.7-1 ----- Release in Unstable, Unblock Request
[Ralph Amissah] comment and commitdiff:

debian/changelog 2.7.7-1  debian/sid debian/2.7.7-1
  debian/changelog
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=223723168f7e707cda1fe3140b0527fd932c6089

Merge branch 'upstream' into debian/sid
  (Trivial merge)
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=e681ba98d51ddc437c465defe44fb797f5154979

version date
  data/sisu/v2/v/version.yml
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=bf16d31b607333980c1670ccffe992f3271bbfca

CHANGELOG update requested by
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=8f9ef031f292448eb009b5d1c9d77b4985fa9913

texpdf, codeblocks do not permit empty lines, fix
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
  lib/sisu/v2/texpdf.rb
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=505c66abbbdc8f9f8f9930cacec751e6a886d8d9

sisu_markup, date typo fix
  data/doc/sisu/v2/markup-samples/sisu_manual/sisu_markup.sst
  data/sisu/v2/v/version.yml
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=a258d50cc2a2d42b8b389e0b9d376974cc018e16

texpdf, bullet text, hanging indent, fix
(works for regular text (not grouped text)
(requested fix, Ben Armstrong)
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
  lib/sisu/v2/texpdf.rb
  lib/sisu/v2/texpdf_format.rb
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=1f20600f772b6006b8a87a7883a098d258bb2277

codeblocks, numbered markup option, fix
(requested fix needed by debian-live:live-manual,
 Ben Armstrong & Mark Schneider)
* numbered codeblocks, , where codeblock opens with code{#
  * dal changes as required, flag markup request and number
  * constants, provide vertical line symbol, use to separate numbered
    codeblock from code
  * texpdf substitute \vline for numbered codeblock line separator
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=9a32a0743767b16456fee98354f269ba6a29efdf

documentation related minor updates and fixes
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
  data/doc/sisu/v2/markup-samples/sisu_manual/sisu_manual.ssm
  data/doc/sisu/v2/markup-samples/sisu_manual/sisu_markup.sst
  lib/sisu/v2/cgi_sql_common.rb
  lib/sisu/v2/defaults.rb
  man/man1/sisu.1
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=dc6f4fbafdd3d296597e799c94c05187e6ad5b7f

dal_endnotes, cosmetic code arrangement
  lib/sisu/v2/dal_endnotes.rb
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=2956c8fa6331ba1a1ec8534a710ac512b44213b7

version 2.7.7
  data/sisu/v2/v/version.yml
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=93597e61f810a0099d3be61eaeb9d12831ac12e0

texpdf, first space following a bullet should be fixed width (also), fix
  lib/sisu/v2/texpdf.rb
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=9314a7a39594771f4af18448fa053b158237a2b6

texpdf, first space following a bullet should be fixed width, fix
(requested fix and suggested solution, Ben Armstrong)
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
  lib/sisu/v2/texpdf.rb
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=406eed70e10a8414fd18b9c5c8a260673bb344c5

CHANGELOG v2, on requested changes & open 2.7.7
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=45b2c50b43560172de4d187d0821315d1ae0c96b

sha256 (2.7.6)
  CHANGELOG_v2
  data/doc/sisu/v2/CHANGELOG
http://git.sisudoc.org/?p=code/sisu.git;a=commitdiff;h=0fe4c7cb80c986c31b4e8a17c57e8812db54861d

2.7.6-1 ----- in Squeeze

*- unblock history -*

This is the sixth unblock request on the package sisu after the freeze (blame
additional testing by the live-manual (debian-live) members for the last
three).

2.6.3-4 code and documentation fixes
contributed for Squeeze.
the first unblock request was granted  by Julien Cristau (for which thanks, he
also dealt with an unblock request on a sister package "sisu-markup-samples");

2.6.3-5 bug fix #596736 for Squeeze. Primarily a bug-fix.
the second unblock request Mehdi Dogguy (thank you).

2.6.3-6 Documentation and reliability fix.
third unblock request, Neil McGovern fixes)

2.7.2-1 (2.7.0 - 2.7.2 bug fix #598063 and other fixes)
the fourth unblock request, Mehdi Dogguy (thank you).

# 2.7.5-1 the fifth unblock request, OVERTAKEN

2.7.6-1 (2.7.3 - 2.7.6 bug fixes, requested fixes)
the fifth unblock request, Mehdi Dogguy (thank you).

2.7.7-1 (bug fixes, requested fixes)

An extract from 2.7.6 unblock request

>Testing of sisu may have been a bit more rigorous since debian-live recently
>started using sisu with debian-live, both the responsibility of making sure it
>works for that project (sisu was not originally designed for technical
>writing), and a number of the fixes were for issues found by others, (in the
>case of this unblock request Mark Schneider who is active in debian-live with
>the live-manual) as documented below.
>
>I am upstream for sisu the development of which has likewise been frozen since
>the Debian freeze to ensure a stable sisu version release with Squeeze. Freeze
>development moved upstream to the 2.7 series from debian.changes after 2.6.3
>(with 2.6.3-6 being the same as 2.7.0-1 changelogs apart). All subsequent
>freeze code fixes (and any documentation updates/corrections) have been in the
>upstream tarball apart from updating the debian/changelog as needed. [aside on
>why it become necessary to move changes back upstream to provide an upstream
>tarball for a bug in ruby1.9.2 with sisu]: As explained in an earlier unblock
>request, the change in upstream numbering (working upstream and opening 2.7
>series as opposed to patching 2.6.3) is, (apart from my being upstream for sisu
>and the the diff starting to become unnecessarily large), that there is an
>issue with ruby 1.9.2 (which segfaults) filed as a bug against ruby, that is
>easier to test with a current upstream tarball, so work on sisu which is
>currently only on Debian release (freeze) issues moved upstream to the 2.7
>series.  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=597953 )

[The following is an extract from 2.6.3-6 unblock request, and included with
subsequent unblock requests, explaining the reason for the change in freeze
patching strategy:]