Re: Midori for Squeeze

On 17/10/2010 22:08, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Hi Ryan/release team,
>
> During my review of open security issues I noticed that the
> version of Midori currently in Squeeze still has broken
> HTTPS support. (#582213)

This bug is only about packaging a new upstream release, maybe you were
referring to #595813 ? Though afair midori in squeeze does support https
(meaning, it can connect to an https website).

> We shouldn't ship a browser with the state as-is. We could
> either drop it or update to the version currently in sid?

The version currently in sid is already outdated though (I've made some
packaging for 0.2.8 but didn't upload yet, still not sure about taking
over maintainership...)

In any case, the https support by midori is working but not really
satisfying. The browser can connect to https website, and in recent
versions even change the url bar color, but that's all. There's no
configuration support, no way to add an AC or a client certificate, no
way to see the certificate a website is using.

Some might think that makes the browser unusable and unsuitable for
Squeeze, I'm not so sure. It's a shame the browser doesn't have a real
https support, but it's still working and is a nice little browser. I
don't think it should be installed by default but it's still useful in a
stable release (imho).

Yves-Alexis