[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Bug #566650: Please unblock dtc 0.32.2-1

Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 05:17 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Dear Release Team,
>> [...]
> No, sorry. We are not able to accept such a big change. If you have a
> targeted fix, we could review it. If you are able to provide a patch,
> please send it to us here.
> Regards,

I'm personally quite disappointed to read only 2 lines of comments about
the size of the change, and nothing else. I thought I wrote quite some
valid (technical) points, and I would have appreciate comments on them.

Having no comments on my plans with v0.32.x when telling some RT members
in August, I thought it was fine. Waiting a month to have the RT
decision, and refusing the unblock, isn't at all the situation I was
expecting: now I'll have a very limited time to clean and test DTC
version 0.30.x for/in Squeeze.

I'm *not* complaining here (I understand that there's a huge work
involved by the RT), I'm asking for help and pointers, so I go on the
right direction. The dead line for Squeeze is approaching fast! If I do
more mistakes, then DTC 0.30.x wont be in shape for Squeeze, and I'll be
forced to ask for a package removal, which isn't what I want.

If the RT is to refuse such an unblock (there's no way anymore to
convince you guys, is it?), I suppose that I have no choice but to hurry
to have the old version ready. I have to warn that there WILL be the
need of some changes. I have in mind commits like this one:


or needed tweaks in debian/control, that really are needed for Squeeze.
I've just read that we are now in an even more deep freeze, with only RC
bugs, translations and doc being accepted. So I wonder, if I need some
changes in my dependencies, and patches in order to have a cleaner app,
will such change be accepted?

If you want to see what change I intend to do in debian/control, you can
do a diff between the current SID and Squeeze version. I can avoid some
change, but I am namely thinking about the libnss compatibility issue
that need to be fixed (the Lenny package needed one dependency, when the
Squeeze will need another one). That one has to be fixed, otherwise ssh
to the vhosts maintained by DTC wont work. There's other changes that I
will have to consider one by one.

Comments from the release team would be appreciated, so that I don't go
on the wrong direction *again*. I've been requesting for such comments
on my plans for a long time, so *please*, comment on this message, and
tell me what you think I should do.

Last thing, I suppose that the only way I will have to upload fixes for
0.30.x will be to use EPOC: in the version, in order to overwrite 0.32.x
currently in SID, right?

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Of course, I'd be very happy and feel safer if the refusal to
unblock was reconsidered.

Reply to: