Re: Freeze exception quassel 0.7.1-1

On 28/09/2010 16:00, Thomas Müller wrote:

> preparing a 0.6.1-3 seems odd to me, because is contains already 12
> known bugs, which have been fixed in 0.6.2. Are we interested in
> deliver buggy software to our users? i'm not!

A buggy software can be fixed by applying a patch. You don't have to
upgrade it to fix the bug. That's what I like in free software. 0.6.3
seems just fine here to fix the security bug.

> well, a user interesting in quassel will most likely look of a 0.7.x
> version. in every other distro 0.7.x will be/has been delivered.
>
> that's why i call it outdated.

Other distributions can have their own release process and different
criterias during a freeze. We don't have to include quassel 0.7.x just
because other distros did.

> Next time I'll contact the release team in advance. Upload to
> experimental feels odd for me - upstream has officially released 0.7 -
>  this is not experimental - right?

Wrong. Things that are not meant for the release are uploaded to experimental.

> Finally: what are we going to do? Will anybody get hurt, if we
> "unfreeze" quassel 0.7.1-1? In case squeeze will deliver a 0.6, I'll

As Adam already explained, the diff is quite big. Debian has its own
release process and release criterias and dumping new upstream releases in
testing isn't something that we will do during a freeze.

> deliver 0.7 to backports asap. The official 0.6 will most likely be
> unused  - no need to deliver it then within squeeze. I'll most likely
> request a removal from squeeze.

If you don't want to maintain/have quassel 0.6.x during/in Squeeze, we can
remove it. If you want to have it in Squeeze, you can upload what Adam asked
for in testing (but send us a diff before the upload).

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/