Re: Some updates not contained on point release DVDs

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 08:51:50PM +0200, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>as this is a low traffic mailing list I dare to ask a question.

:-) Brave!

>I noticed that some (security) updates for Debian lenny are available
>from debian/security for a while, but never made it on an point
>release DVD image. Examples?
>
>hille@drachi:~$ apt-cache policy openjdk-6-jre
>openjdk-6-jre:
>  Installed: 6b11-9.1+lenny2
>  Candidate: 6b11-9.1+lenny2
>  Version table:
> *** 6b11-9.1+lenny2 0
>        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     6b11-9.1 0
>        500 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.0 _Lenny_ - Official i386
>DVD Binary-1 20090214-16:54] lenny/main Packages
>
>(was released in April 2009).
>
>More examples are: squid, vlc, openldap... Most updates however are
>on this discs like linux-image-2.6-686.
>
>Were they simply forgotten or is this intentional? Many thanks!

This particular package looks like it never made it into a point
release at all, not just the CDs. In the current lenny Packages.gz
file for i386, I see:

Package: openjdk-6-jre

Similar thing for vlc and squid, from a quick check, It's worth asking
the stable release manager(s) or the security team why these updates
have not made it into the lenny point releases. I'm interested
myself...

"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the
 ability to read or write anything that is longer than one hundred and sixty
 characters."  -- Ignatios Souvatzis